|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the book'.|
- “Why are all the children cheering?"
"They're cheering for you!”
- ―Thomas and Percy
Too Hot for Thomas is the twenty-fifth episode of the eighth series.
It is a hot summer day and James and Toby are taking children to the beach. While Thomas wishes to take children as well, he becomes stuck with the job of helping the ice cream factory produce more ice cream. At the beach, it is very hot and the ice cream vendor has quickly run out of ice cream. Thomas is disappointed, but his driver assures him that if they work quickly, there might still be children to take. So after delivering a tanker of raspberry syrup, he rushes off to collect the ingredients.
Thomas collects the cream tanker from the dairy and makes his way to Farmer McColl's farm. Along the way, he has to stop at an intersection to let James' passenger train by. Thomas wonders why James gets to take the children. He soon arrives at the farm, where one of his trucks are loaded with strawberries. He thanks the workmen and sets off for Mr. Jolly's Chocolate Factory.
Determined to get his jobs done, Thomas puffs as fast as he can, but he goes too fast and the signalmen forget to change the points. The points send him onto another line, much to his frustration. Now he must wait for Toby and Henrietta to pass by, pulling even more children. This makes Thomas cross and more determined than ever. The signalman finally changes the points and Thomas reverses, sending him to the correct line.
At the chocolate factory, the workmen load the other truck with cocoa powder. Thomas tries to set off, but the shunter has yet to release the truck's brakes. Thomas puffs so hard that he breaks the coupling, sending cocoa powder everywhere. Thomas is upset; he is sure that he will not be able to take the children. It takes even longer to clear up the mess, and once the shunter releases the brakes, Thomas sets off.
At the ice cream factory, Thomas is dismayed when the manager asks him to take the ice cream once it is ready. However, when he arrives at the beach, everyone cheers at his arrival. Thomas is very confused, and Percy explains that they have been waiting for their ice cream. Soon, all the children have their ice cream, bringing a smile to Thomas' smokebox, despite him missing out on the job he originally wanted to do. The Fat Controller is there, too, and congratulates Thomas for being really useful.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Ice-Cream Factory Manager
- Toby (does not speak)
- Farmer McColl (does not speak)
- Henrietta (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- The Dairy Manager (cameo)
- The Dairy Employees (cameo)
- Mr. Jolly (factory logo cameo; mentioned)
- Sodor Ice Cream Factory
- Three Tier Bridge
- Sodor Dairy
- The Intersection
- Gordon's Hill
- McColl Farm
- The Sheep Field
- Kirk Ronan Junction
- Mr. Jolly's Chocolate Factory
- Tidmouth Beach
- Going by production order, this is the twenty-second episode of the eighth series.
- A deleted scene from Thomas Gets it Right is used.
- In The Complete Series 8 DVD and other television broadcasts, the music at the end is omitted.
- This is the last episode in the series where Thomas' unused third series concerned face has teeth on its lower lip.
- The Refreshment Lady's shop from Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady can be seen at Norramby.
- During the close up of Thomas' driver, the raspberry syrup tanker is not visible and the tree behind him is also much smaller.
- In the widescreen version when Thomas has to stop for James, James magically appeared due to the fade effect.
- When Thomas moves his truck of cocoa powder forward after wheel-slipping, he slows down before the powder explodes.
- When the points switch back to Thomas' line, a skinny copper rod is moving off-screen.
- When Thomas pulls into Seaside Halt, one of the children is missing a mouth.
- The narrator says that the workmen filled Thomas' trucks with strawberries, but only one truck was filled.
- Due to stock footage being used when Thomas lets off steam before chuffing back to the junction, he is pulling a grey van instead of a blue truck.
- Take Along - Thomas and Ice Cream Sundae Cars
- Capsule Plarail - Sir Topham Hatt (Seaside wear, Seaside swim wear)
- Books - Too Hot for Thomas and Hate! I Want To Go to the Beach
- Magazines - Cheers for Thomas and Ice Cream for Thomas
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases