There are many types of tractors on Sodor, built for different purposes.
These tractors are used for ploughing fields and hauling trailers. The trailers carry farm products, such as hay bales and wool and are delivered to markets.
The tractors are painted blue, red, green and orange. They mostly have silver or red hubcaps, while others have the same coloured hubcaps as their bodies.
- A tractor's model is currently on display at Drayton Manor.
- In Tramway Engines and Small Railway Engines, tractors were seen with faces.
These tractors have caterpillar tracks and are used at digging and construction sites. They are also used at the quarries to dig as well as lift and push rocks. Occasionally, they can be seen at Knapford Harbour. The tractors are fitted with either a bulldozer blade or a digging bucket.
One of them was once part of a convoy that helped restore power to a village on Christmas Eve.
The tractors are based on the 1934 vintage Caterpillar Model 70 - the largest and last design of petrol-powered tractors in Caterpillar's range. Terence shares the same basis.
The tractors are painted grey-brown. One was seen in yellow in the magazine story, Christmas Crisis.
- Series 3 - Gordon and the Famous Visitor, Diesel Does it Again, No Joke for James, Toby's Tightrope, One Good Turn, Oliver Owns Up, Heroes and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure
- Series 4 - Trucks and Steam Roller
- Series 5 - Bye George!
- 1998 - Christmas Crisis
- One of the tractors first appeared as scrap set-dressing in TUGS.
Once, Willie and his tractor were late to deliver a load of wool and he did not secure the bales properly. Unfortunately, due to Willie's carelessness and an overloaded trailer, the load slipped onto the line, causing Rex to crash into it and derail.
In the Railway Series, the tractor had headlights, resembling eyes.
Willie's tractor is painted purple in the Railway Series, while it is painted green in the television series.
- 1996 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection (mentioned)
Dan the Front Loader
Dan the Front Loader is a blue tractor who first appeared in a lift-the-flap book called The Busy Engines. He appeared nameless in the book, but was christened 'Dan' by the book's illustrator Dan Crisp. He also appears multiple times in the book Ten Little Engines.