|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Chinese book or the magazine story.|
"I'm trying me 'hardest!”
- ―Gordon and Toby
You Can Do It, Toby! is the twenty-second episode of the eighth series.
Toby is pulling milk tankers up Gordon's Hill and is taking it nice and slowly. However, when Gordon climbs up the hill with the express, he gets stuck halfway up due to the train's heavy weight. Edward comes in as his back engine but when Gordon reaches the top, he snubs Toby for being too slow; he even says that Toby is not a proper engine, hurts his feelings. That evening, the Fat Controller tells Toby that, as Edward is required at Brendam the following day, he must look after Wellsworth Yard in his place, which worries Toby as he does not feel like a proper engine.
The next morning, Toby leaves Arlesdale End feeling rather nervous, hoping that he will not be needed to help an engine up Gordon's Hill. At Wellsworth, to his dismay, there are many trucks to be shunted into three trains for Donald, Douglas, and Henry. Toby is uncertain that he can do this, but Thomas encourages him. So Toby carries out the shunting work full of confidence. Just as Toby finishes the shunting, Gordon passes by with the express, but just like the day before, Gordon gets stuck halfway up the hill again. So his guard telephones the yard manager, who calls Toby to be his back engine. But Toby is nervous again, so Thomas encourages him once more and Toby sets off.
Gordon is not pleased to hear that Toby is coming as he considers him not a "proper engine". Toby buffers up and pushes as hard as he can, but Gordon and his train do not move a wheel. Gordon insults Toby even more thinking that was all Toby was capable of. Just as he is about to give up, Toby remembers Thomas' words of encouragement and buffers up again. This time, Toby gives every ounce of steam he has and the train starts to move. Toby keeps on going up Gordon's Hill and even Percy encourages him as he passes by going downhill. Once at the summit, Gordon is surprised and very impressed with Toby, who is tired but very happy, and makes the express run on time. That night back in his own shed, Toby is visited by the Fat Controller who tells him that he was really useful. With that, Toby feels like a proper engine once more.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Edward (does not speak)
- Henrietta (cameo)
- Butch (cameo)
- Henry (mentioned)
- Donald and Douglas (mentioned)
- Annie and Clarabel (deleted scene cameo)
- Gordon's Hill
- Toby's Shed
- Shunting Yards
- Black Loch (deleted scene)
- Brendam Docks (mentioned)
- Going by production order, this is the twelfth episode of the eighth series.
- In the twelfth series segment "Thomas' Favourite Friends - Toby," it was mentioned that Rocky was working with Edward at the Docks, but Rocky was not introduced until the tenth series episode Edward Strikes Out.
- This marks the second of four appearances of Edward's wincing face mask, with the others being the previous episode, Calling All Engines!, and Henry's Lucky Day. However, it would be logical to assume this face was originally made for the adaptation of Edward's Exploit from The Railway Series book Main Line Engines for the second series.
- In the UK dub, Toby speaks with a Scouse accent.
- When Edward starts pushing Gordon up the hill, a wire is visible under him.
- The narrator said that Toby's engine roared as he pushed Gordon up the hill, but Toby is a steam engine.
- The narrator says Gordon was pulling the express with lots of coaches, but there are only three.
- In the beginning Toby starts moving up the hill but in the next shot from behind he is set back, to add to that Toby is not seen when Gordon suddenly starts to climb the hill.
- In part of the episode, steam vents too far from Gordon.
- Toby's steam platform is visible when he goes back to try and push Gordon a second time and it is seen again when Toby starts to push Gordon up the hill.
In Other Languages
Home Media Releases